“The library is so much more than simply a place to borrow books. Our library is a beacon for those who need to think and to refresh; it’s a place to learn and to be.” —
Libraries are community spaces.
More than just books and banks of computers, our library is a place where our community gathers to explore, interact, and imagine.
The current 1955 Library Building was built to allow accommodation of growing collections but after over 60 years of growth and change, the building has been “maxed out.”
The library’s current building is simply beyond its useful life. For example, if the existing building was to be remodeled to address structural and ADA deficiencies, and no additional space added, there would be no community meeting room, substantial reductions in the areas dedicated for collections, poor access and storage for local history materials, and most importantly less space for people.
The people who live in Sierra Madre need and deserve a new building that can accommodate our 21st century needs including space for our collections, expanded technology, and a dedicated community room. There must be more space and a new building is the best solution.
Our library has seen significant growth. Since it was built we have:
- Created a dedicated Children’s Room (by eliminating the original Meeting Room)
- Carved out space from the Public areas to add 18 computers (7 computers in the Children’s Room, 11 in Adult areas)
- Carved out space in the Staff & Front Desk areas to add 14 computers
- Developed a host of programming services: Class Visits, Summer Reading Programs for Children and Adults, STEAM programs and equipment, One Book One City programs, Teen programs, etc.
- Completed approximately 3 major remodeling projects
We have also added:
- a local history Archival Collection
- a Young Adult Collection
- a Science Fiction & Fantasy Collection
- a Compact Disc recorded music collection
- a Books recorded on CD collection
- a DVD video recording collection
- Children’s Playaway/Tablets and Adult book Playaways
- 5 STEAM Stations, including 3D Printing, Virtual Reality, and Cricut services150x150.jpg[/cmsmasters_gallery]